Thursday, November 8, 2007

Help (that being Tad) is on the way!

Tad comes today – I’m sooooo happy. He should be on his way from Tirana to Vlora right now, and probably get here in about 2 more hours or so. I think we are going to move from the Hotel Pavaresia (PAHV are see ah) to another hotel that is closer to the orphanage and has internet in the rooms. I don’t know what the name of this hotel is yet, maybe Saint Tropez? The rooms are smaller there, and it smells kind of funny, so I’m not liking that so much, but it will be nice to have internet all the time. Or supposedly all the time. It is also right at the bottom of the hill by the orphanage so I won’t be walking a half hour each direction anymore (so much for losing weight). Although most of the restaurants are back where I am now, so maybe we’ll be walking for that.

I’ve included some pictures of most of the kids in Will’s age group. They all seem to be very sweet kids, and you can tell they just want attention. I can’t believe that the caregivers will just lock them in the room and let them do whatever. There is one wall that is basically shelves all the way up from the bottom to the top and today when I was there, one of the little girls decided to climb the wall. She’s about 3 maybe, and was about 4 feet off the (concrete) floor and still climbing when I came in. They’ve all got bumps and bruises on them pretty constantly, I get the feeling they fall, run into things or whatnot fairly often. Will had a bloody nose when I came yesterday, and when I went to look at it and see if he was OK, he head butted me and gave me a bloody lip. None of the other kids even batted an eye, so I think it must be a routine sight.

It’s warm again today, I’d say high 60’s or low 70’s. It gets pretty chilly at night though. I forgot a coat so when I’ve been at the internet café in the evenings, I’m actually kind of cold. It has been sunny every day this week and no rain. I hear that it snowed at home and when I looked at the temperature it said it was 27 degrees. Can’t say I miss that.

Cydil, the people at the internet café remember you and your husband. They asked how Elisona is doing and I showed them your blog – they were glad to see her and say she looks very happy! From what they were telling me, it sounds like the wife works for maybe the Italian equivalent of Bethany – how weird is that? I guess Vlora is a pretty small in some ways. Did you talk to them much?

Vlora is a regular city, however you will randomly see goats, chickens, turkeys and cows walking around by the orphanage. You’ll also see cats (and from the looks of them they are wild) and dogs (same, pretty mangy looking) walking around with the chickens and turkeys – I’d think they’d be trying to catch them. Maybe they peck them? The animals are all scrounging for food. Some of the dogs look like they are maybe blind –the eyes are all cloudy. Some of the cats look like they have been in a lot of fights and are missing an eye or an ear. This is a tough place for animals. I have a hard time feeling sorry for the dogs right now as they are still barking EVERY night and keeping me up for hours on end. Maybe that will be different at the other hotel.

I took Will out in the little playground at the orphanage today. He wore the pink boots again. The kids can’t really walk well in shoes –I suppose they pretty much never have them on. Well, and I think they are the wrong size. He didn’t like the playground stuff, but kind of seemed to like walking through the weeds. They don’t have a lawn mower so it’s pretty high. I didn’t let him do that much though because yesterday I saw a rat in the grass (not at the orphanage, but near it) and I don’t want to see another. I think maybe there are rats because there is kind of a lot of garbage all over. Remind me to thank our garbage men when I get home.

Will is generally calmer when he is not around people. And I think maybe he is at his worst around other kids, which you would think would be the opposite. When I’ve brought him in the one room that has some toys, he doesn’t really have any interest in the toys. He is much more interesting in opening and closing the door, moving furniture or sitting and rocking. The toys, he’ll hold for less than a minute maybe, and then throw them. Yesterday he actually picked one up and kind of looked at it a bit before throwing it though. I’m having a hard time knowing if something is wrong or if he is a stubborn little imp that wants his own way?

I know that some of the medical records information that I’ve been given is wrong. For example there are conflicting dates on his birthdate, date of when he came to the orphanage, and one of the forms that has a signature stamp of a doctor, apparently isn’t in that doctor’s handwriting. There is also conflicting information about his health history like previous illnesses, etc. At what weight are babies considered premature in the U.S? Any idea how long a 4.4 pound baby would typically be in the hospital? Is that very small? How about 5.95 pounds? Alma told me the other day that most babies in Albania are in the hospital for at least a month after birth – but then I heard last night that it’s only a couple days –just like at home, longer if something is wrong. How do you know who to believe?

I’m at the internet café right now but the internet is not working and I can’t actually post this until after it comes back up. As it is 1:50 and the power goes out at 2 for a couple hours, I most likely won’t get this posted until later tonight, assuming it comes back up then.

I’m off to the hotel to wait for Tad!!!

6 comments:

Cydil said...

Hello Lisa!
Thanks so much for the post and photos of the kids, esp. Oltsi! That was a nice photo of you and Will as well. I remember the frustration of being at the internet cafe with the lights on but no internet! I am scratching my head to think of what couple at the internet cafe you may have spoken with that would remember us -- though I'm sure EVERYONE knew when we were there. As you well know, it's a lifeline to have that connection to home. I just remember the sweet teenage kid who ran the place most evenings. I wish I had asked him his name.

I think I know the hotel you are referring to and if they had internet in the rooms, we would have stayed there too, though it would be further from restaurants like you said, it would have also been closer to the Hotel New York which had some of the best food we found in Vlora. You should try to find it sometime with Tad (opposite direction from the city center, follow the beach)! They (hotel on the beach) also quoted us a very high rate, but then the owner wasn't there when we inquired. (There was also the Dolphin Hotel across the street and down a bit?)
You've been in our thoughts so much this week and we check your blog more times a day than I care to admit. ;-) Keep us posted as you can. You've been doing a great job of that. Cydil

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa and Tad,

I trust Tad made it there safely by now. Hope all is well!

Keep the faith with Will and I hope you find a doctor to get all of your questions answered.

If you are unable to get a copy of Microsoft Office, you can can try Google Docs as a possible alternative in a pinch. It's a free online equivilant to Office....

Travel Safe!

Jeff

Sascha Easterling said...

Hello Lisa,

I love the picture of you an Will. I know our kids are from different orphanages - but Kennan did the same thing - toys were of little interest. He wanted to play with bigger things. Shutting doors and drawers were more fascinating. There is nothing wrong with him - he just needs the attention from you. He's been around a lot of kids & now he's being pulled away from everything he knows to YOU - it is an adjustment period for them. They told us that Boys are more likely to act out.
After a couple of days Kennan was acting like a normal child. My prayers are with you.

It's exciting isn't it. Thought I'd give you a couple things you might want to ask for: Any Baby Pictures & Other documents for your child. Usually you have to ask.

God Bless you both!
Sascha

joy said...

Lisa,Tad @Will- Haven"t been at work for several days and so just read your blog. So sorry I haven't been supportive all the time you were alone. Loved the picture of you and Will- he's so cute and I'm sure you are very concerned about him. So are we! You asked about a babys weight and I can tell you that Patty weighed 4lbs 13 oz and lost some in the first few days. She was in an incubator for at least a week and didn't come home from the hospital for maybe 3 weeks. Don't remember for sure, but know that Pam was home a week before we were able to bring Patty home. I really admire your bravery Lisa, for going alone to a strange country and being unable to speak their language. I'm sure it has been difficult and I understand the strong feelings you have for a child. I think that getting an interpeter would be a very good idea and I wonder if it would be possible to contact the agency that you went through in the U S and let them know your concerns about Will. They may have some suggestions about who you could contact to get answers about Will's health. Maybe just seeing a doctor there, even if you don't have much faith in him, you could pin him down with possible problems and if there are solutions that could be done once you got back to the U.S. Love you and want you to know that all of you are in my prayers. Auntie Joy

Wendy said...

Hi Lisa and Tad,
I'm enjoying reading the blog. It took me a while to figure out how to leave a comment. Yes, I'm a little slow! Love the pictures and got a kick out of you describing the food. The pictures of the kids are darling. I wish we could send toys and things for the kids-- but would they get them??? I'm so glad that Tad is there. I can't imagine what it must be like when you can't communicate with people around you and have no one to talk with. I often wondered if the powers that be communicate differently with a man than a woman. You're in our prayers. We hope everything works out.

Love to you both,
Aunt Wendy and Uncle Tom

Linasolopoesie said...

CIAO!!
TI AUGURO UN BUON FINE SETTIMANA E UNA FELICE DOMENICA

UN CARO SALUTO ...LINA